About Us

Early Settlers in Belmar: The Lenni Lenape Nation were the first known settlers, followed by pioneer farmers.  In 1872 a group of businessmen purchased the land we now call Belmar and organized the Ocean Beach Association.  Building lots, streets and bridges were laid out in a grid pattern that remains today.  The name “Belmar” was finally adopted by the town on May 14, 1889.


  • To welcome visitors to Belmar’s first history museum to view the memorabilia and learn the proud history of Belmar located in the Union Fire House annex, 900 E Street, Belmar.
  • To bring the history of Belmar to visitors of all ages, including school children, through historical exhibits, changing displays, and educational programs.
  • To be the official repository of Belmar memorabilia and encourage year-round and long-time summer residents to share and/or donate their memories and keepsakes with the BHS.


The Belmar Historical Society is dedicated to the restoration, preservation and acquisition of Belmar sites and materials.  The BHS seeks to inform the public about Belmar’s history through its programs and displays.

Incorporated on May 16, 2011, the BHS is an all- volunteer organization consisting of approximately 30 active volunteers and a growing number of members.  We have four officers, President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer, along with seven Trustees.

BHS Board: President, Spencer Heulitt;  Vice President, Patricia O’Keefe;  Secretary, Karen Heulitt;  Treasurer James Hohn.

BHS Trustees:  Naomi Reissner, Patricia Melango, Irene McCann, Lucille Hohn, Brian Magovern.

The Belmar Historical Society’s history museum’s opening was originally scheduled for October, 2012–four days before Super Storm Sandy hit the Jersey shore.  Due to flooding in the building, the opening was delayed while volunteers worked to preserve the many treasures stored at the site..  It is with gratitude that the BHS thanks the Monmouth County Archives in Manalapan for safekeeping the bulk of memorabilia and historical treasures, and extends sppecial thanks to the Borough of Belmar for their support, to the Monmouth County Historical commission,  and to  the New Jersey Historical Commission for their support.

It is with sincere pride that in April, 2015 the BHS opened Belmar’s first History Museum at 900 E Street, Belmar,  in the Annex of the Union Fire House. Visitors are now welcome to view the many materials and displays preserving and sharing Belmar’s proud history.

In addition, thanks for support must be extended Belmar citizens as well as County and State organizations.  The Monmouth Historical Commission matching grant program, as well as Belmar citizen support in the purchase of pavers enabled the restoration of the WWI Doughboy Statue and weaponry at Doughboy Park, WWII Monument on Main Street, the Malta Mast base on Eighth and Ocean Avenues.  Repairs to the exterior of the Union Fire House on 9th and E Street, were made possible by matching grants from the Monmouth Historical Commission and assistance from the Borough of Belmar Department of Public Works.  The purchase of archival supplies was made possible by a grant from the New Jersey Historical Commission.

New Members are Always Welcome   To learn more about the BHS, see the Historical Preservation page of this site. 

Have Questions?  Email Us @ info@belmarhistoricalsociety.org or call 908 309 3380.