Downtown

The commercial district of Belmar was “F” Street now called Main Street.

Belmar’s downtown was located near the railroad tracks for ease in transporting goods. Early businesses carried essential items for the times. Shops sold coal, harnesses, dry goods, hardware and hay.

There was a butcher shop, brewery, fish monger, boat builder and stables. In later times there was a movie theater, ice cream parlor, five & ten cent store and auto repair garage.

Today’s Main Street features shops and restaurants that sell items for today’s visitors – beach umbrellas, bathing suits and pails and shovels.  The BHS partners with Belmar Boro and Belmar businesses to preserve and present our history for all to enjoy.

Parade down Main Street, Belmar – 1913 celebrating the opening of the Belmar Library.

 

Main Street between 9th & 10th – Circa 1965

 

Main Street with Trolley Rails

 

800 Block of Ocean – 1940

 

Of more current interest to many is that one block from “F” or Main Street is “E” Street  —  made famous by Bruce Springsteen’s “E” Street Band  which began in the 1970’s.  A monument to Bruce Springsteen is featured on the grounds of the Belmar Library at “E” and 10th streets.