The Belmar Flag

The following sections are reproduced from Grace Trott Roper‘s historical retrospective on how the Borough of Belmar came to be. The original booklet is © Copyright 1978 by Grace Trott Roper, Belmar, NJ and was printed by Hoffman Press, Belmar, NJ.

Duplication or reproduction is not permitted

The first flag was the one carried by the Belmar Battalion, N.J. Militia Reserve and was made by Mrs. Wm. Ripley Cobb. The painting of the Coat of Arms on the Flag was the work of Phillip Brunin.

This flag was first shown to the public on the evening of April 18th, 1918, when it was formally entrusted to the Battalion by his Honor Mayor George W. Van Note.

The colors of the Municipal Flag are Jersey Blue and Colonial Buff. These are distinctly New Jersey colors and were first selected by George Washington, because New Jersey as well as New York were originally settled by the Dutch and Jersey Blue and Buff figured in the Netherlands Insignia.