The Belmar Board of Education

The following sections are reproduced from Grace Trott Roper‘s historical retrospective on how the Borough of Belmar came to be. The original booklet is © Copyright 1978 by Grace Trott Roper, Belmar, NJ and was printed by Hoffman Press, Belmar, NJ.

Duplication or reproduction is not permitted

A board of nine members was elected in 1894 and divided into three groups to serve 1, 2 and 3 years respectively. Three members of the board are elected at each annual school meeting for a term of three years. The board elects from its membership a president.

Within the limits of State Legislation and the ruling of the State Board of Education the Local Board establishes its own procedure for the administration of the school district‘s affairs. It makes all appointments to the administrative, teaching and maintenance staff. It fixes the compensation for all its employees. It enforces the regulations of the State Board of Education, selects textbooks and purchases school supplies and together with the County Superintendent of schools, prescribes the course of study to be followed.

The Board of Education is a corporporate body having the right to sue and be sued. It has title to all school property. When authorized by the voters it may acquire or dispose of school grounds, provide for school buildings and borrow funds necessary for such purposes. It can float bonds to cover any extension or improvement of education; provided the voters agree. The Borough Clerk, as custodian of school monies, has charge of all schools funds in the Belmar District.