Lakes

The following sections are reproduced from Grace Trott Roper‘s historical retrospective on how the Borough of Belmar came to be. The original booklet is © Copyright 1978 by Grace Trott Roper, Belmar, NJ and was printed by Hoffman Press, Belmar, NJ.

Duplication or reproduction is not permitted

Silver lake, wholly within the boundaries of Belmar, was once called West‘s Pond. So named for the family of “West” who owned the lake for generations. The name was changed when it was acquired by the Ocean Beach Association in 1872. The lake and the square at its head have been preserved from commercialization through the fighting spirit of some civic-minded men.

One of Belmar‘s leading attractions is the home of Swans, Geese and Ducks. The birds are cared for and fed by a Boro Caretaker. The Island in the middle of the lake was built as a winter home for the birds and to give an improved air to the municipal area.

The Belmar Swans gained a national reputation as the first flock bred In America. As a result the N. Y. Zoological Garden, Central Park, New York City, Central Park, Brooklyn and several other municipalities requested and were each given a pair of breeders by the Boro. The Duke estate in Northern N. J. purchased twelve pairs for research purposes. Many other requests for sale were received, but due to some unnatural disturbances the breeding fell off and the Boro has since refused to part with any more of the Swans.

The lake is fed by two fresh water streams, and occasionally at high tide, it receives the salt water from the ocean in sufficient quantities to keep it always highly impregnated with salt. It covers an area 2,500 feet long and 500 feet wide, and has a depth of about three feet.

The flower bed at the foot of Silver lake was the pride and joy of Carl Schroeder. His ideas for arrangements delighted and surprised local residents and visitors. The bed carried out the Red, White and Blue motif of the 1976 Belmar Bicentennial celebrations.

Lake Como separates South Belmar from Spring Lake and was once called Three-Cornered Pond from 1700 to 1800. Mr. H. H. Yard gave it its present name. It is mentioned by its old name in the deed of 1701 to Dawan Drummond.