First Aid Squad

The following sections are reproduced from Grace Trott Roper‘s historical retrospective on how the Borough of Belmar came to be. The original booklet is © Copyright 1978 by Grace Trott Roper, Belmar, NJ and was printed by Hoffman Press, Belmar, NJ.

Duplication or reproduction is not permitted

The Belmar First Aid Squad was organized in November 1927, through the efforts of the late Daniel Traverso a former Belmar physician Dr. Traverso served as the squads physician until his death. A bronze plaque was unveiled at 417 9th avenue, the squad headquarters in his memory on Memorial Day 1936 by Frank H. MihIon Jr.

It was this same young man Frank Mihlon Jr. who at age 13 agreed to give up Christmas Gifts so that the money could go to an ambulance fund. In Match 1928 MN. Mihlon Sr. authorized the purchase of an ambulance at his expense. It was the first ambulance to be owned by a First Aid Squad along the Jersey Coast.

The Ambulance was later traded for one that is still in use. Mr. Mihlon also donated the ground and building for the squad‘s present headquarters.

The Squad was once governed by 2 Boards of control Each Fire Company elected three delegates, and three trustees who served a three year term The squad has since split from the Fire Dept. and is now the Belmar First Aid Squad Inc. The squad also has charge of the life guards at the Belmar Beach during the summer.