Early Housing

The following sections are reproduced from Grace Trott Roper‘s historical retrospective on how the Borough of Belmar came to be. The original booklet is © Copyright 1978 by Grace Trott Roper, Belmar, NJ and was printed by Hoffman Press, Belmar, NJ.

Duplication or reproduction is not permitted

Many people built their own homes and bungalows. Winter work was not always certain nor plentiful. Some conceived the idea of employing their spare time by joining together and building. These houses could then be rented in the summer for income to cover the winter. This however left them with no place to live while their houses were rented. They solved the problem by building bungalows on the rear lots or else by building apartments over the stables. This enabled them to own their houses and use them rent free for eight months of the year.

By 1926 there was an influx of Boarding Houses, and by 1939 they were located in nearly every block. About 1939 Belmar began developing a migratory group of Commercial Activities.

In 1915 Paul T. Zizinia, whose family were summer residents bought all the low lands along Shark River from Ocean to “F” street. The land was filled in and a residential restricted development was laid out. The homes built there were expensive. It was known as Inlet Terrace. The Inlet Terrace Club was built and it was the center of social activities. The club is now a private home and the Terrace is a row of Brick City Houses.