The following sections are reproduced from Grace Trott Roper‘s historical retrospective on how the Borough of Belmar came to be. The original booklet is © Copyright 1978 by Grace Trott Roper, Belmar, NJ and was printed by Hoffman Press, Belmar, NJ.
Duplication or reproduction is not permitted
Twelve Jewish families formed the Congregation Sons of IsraeL They held their services in a room at the Volunteer Fire Company on 11th Avenue. A Hebrew Temple was built in 1907. The cornerstone was laid on July 12th, 1908 and services have been held there ever since
The community building is used to hold classes for the instruction of children in Hebrew Language. Clubs and other organizations affiliated with the congregation also use the building.
Among the groups connected with the organization are the ladies Aux., The Y.M.H.A., The Y.W.H.A., and the junior Y.M.H.A.