Belmar – The Name

The following sections are reproduced from Grace Trott Roper‘s historical retrospective on how the Borough of Belmar came to be. The original booklet is © Copyright 1978 by Grace Trott Roper, Belmar, NJ and was printed by Hoffman Press, Belmar, NJ.

Duplication or reproduction is not permitted

In 1885, the Ocean Beach Commission decided to change The Borough‘s name. Avon, Wallmere, Maltra, Elbro, Stratford and Shade were the suggested names. Avon became the name of the neighboring community to the North.

Stratford showed an interest in English Literature, Wallmere referred to the Sea Coast of Wall Township, and Shade was a tribute to the trees planted along the avenues. Elbro and Malta were the names of the two ships wrecked off the Belmar coast. Since none of these were acceptable, the name “City Of Elco” was chosen in 1889. This only lasted a month when the name Belmar (French for Beautiful Sea) was given to the town on May 14th, 1889.